Monday, April 7, 2008

Blessed are the Balanced

I love this! This is what I'm talking about! The following excerpt comes from Warren Wiersbe's book Be Compassionate. This excerpt also pretty much sums up Joanna Weaver's book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. I hope it speaks to your heart as it has mine.

"Worship is at the heart of all that we are and all that we do in the Christian life. It is important that we be busy ambassadors, taking the message of the Gospel to lost souls. It is also essential to be merciful Samaritans, seeking to help exploited and hurting people who need God's mercy. But before we can represent Christ as we should, or imitate Him in our caring ministry, we must spend time with Him and learn from Him. We must "take time to be holy."
Mary of Bethany is seen three times in the Gospel record, and on each occasion, she is in the same place: at the feet of Jesus. She sat at His feet and listened to His Word (luke 10:39), fell at His feet and shared her woe (John 11:32), and came to His feet and poured out her worship (John 12:3).
Mary and Martha are often contrasted as though each believer must make a choice: be a worker like Martha or a worshiper like Mary. Certainly our personalities and gifts are differnet, but that does not mean that the Christian life is an either/or situation. Charles Wesley said it perfectly in his hymns:

Faithful to my Lord's command,
I still would choose the better part;
Serve with careful Martha's hands,
And loving Mary's heart.

It seems that the Lord wants each of us to imitate Mary in our worship and Martha in our work. Blessed are the balanced! We are ambassaadors, neighbors, and worshippers, these three; and the greatest of these is worshipers. Blessed are the balanced."

1 comment:

Jenn Custer said...

Mom, thanks so much for this post. I like what it said about us really being a balanced mixture of both Martha and Mary. That was my prayer this morning, that God would open my eyes to serve him with my heart (love like Mary) in the midst of serving him with my hands (like Martha). Thanks for the encouragement and wisdom you've shared on your blog. Your my favorite mom:) I love you!!